Welcome!

Welcome to my Doula Blog! I hope you find it interesting and informative.

My name is Natalie. I am a wife, a mother of almost five boys, a doula, and a Hypnobabies Instructor! I'm passionate about childbirth and hope to help women realize the power that is in them to birth more normally and naturally. It's my goal to help women feel confident and comfortable during pregnancy, labor, and delivery. Yes, it is possible! It's also amazing, incredible, wonderful, empowering, and life changing.

As a doula, I am a trained professional who understands and trusts the process of birth. I provide continuous care for the laboring mother and her partner. Studies have shown that when doulas attend births, labors are shorter with fewer complications. I attend to women in labor to help ensure a safe and satisfying birth experience in both home and hospital settings. I draw on my knowledge and experience to provide emotional support, physical comfort and, as needed, communication with the other members of your birth team to make sure that you have the information that you need to make informed decisions in labor. I can provide reassurance and perspective to the laboring mother and her partner, make suggestions for labor progress, and help with relaxation, massage, positioning and other techniques for comfort.

Feel free to contact me at doulanataliesue@gmail.com.
Thanks for stopping by!

Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

First Appointment

I went to my first appointment today. I've decided to start with the CNM's here in the closest "big" town to me. They are about 45 minutes away and their clinic is attached to the hospital I would deliver at.
These midwives seem really great. I've heard so many good things about them. They are very natural minded, patient, and pro-women's choice.
I met with one today and we went over nutrition, etc. She also let me ask her a lot of questions, mostly about labor and delivery.  I had an awful experience with a nurse at the hospital so I know it's early on, but I told her that I could not birth with her there. I actually felt a little validated after I talked to her about this nurse. Apparently she is very rude and makes everyone cry. So I didn't feel like such a wimp after all. If she makes med students cry too, then there is something wrong with her. Anyway, I'm sad I'm not the only one, but glad that my reaction seemed to correlate with everyone else's.
I was very happy to hear that she's not into drugs and medication. If I go way over my due date she has ideas on how to encourage induction. One of those ways is with a fully bulb.  I also told her I'd try acupuncture and chiropractic and she was totally on board with that too. She doesn't like to use pitocin. But she also doesn't tel her patients what to do. We discussed the fact that over time we have learned that people have to be educated for themselves. I've learned that just from being a doula. Sometimes my clients do things that I wouldn't choose, but I don't judge them because number 1 -it's their body, baby and choices, and number 2, if they don't know anything else, then they are doing their best. For instance, I had one client who had a posterior baby and when I suggested that she push for a bit on her hands and knees, she thought that was the absolute weirdest thing she had ever heard, and wanted to lay on her back. Things were just fine and that is what she felt comfortable with. Anyway, so that goes for everything!  I once told a client how scary I thought the drug cytotec was for inducing labor and that it made me really uncomfortable and nervous, but she still chose it. That is up to her and what she feels she needs to do. I don't control people. :)
Anyway, it was fun talking to her. Sounds like she will do anything she can to help me in whatever way I want. She said she's delivered plenty of babies on the toilet. So it's nice to know that I won't be stuck in a bed on my back.
Then of course I went and got blood work done. Fun, fun.
I almost asked for drugs for morning sickness, but I didn't. I decided that since I wasn't throwing up profusely and lacking nutrients, I would stick it out.  Yuck. It is not fun. I'm grateful to a husband that has done all the laundry and dishes since I'm on the couch most days all days.

No comments: