Welcome!

Welcome to my Doula Blog! I hope you find it interesting and informative.

My name is Natalie. I am a wife, a mother of almost five boys, a doula, and a Hypnobabies Instructor! I'm passionate about childbirth and hope to help women realize the power that is in them to birth more normally and naturally. It's my goal to help women feel confident and comfortable during pregnancy, labor, and delivery. Yes, it is possible! It's also amazing, incredible, wonderful, empowering, and life changing.

As a doula, I am a trained professional who understands and trusts the process of birth. I provide continuous care for the laboring mother and her partner. Studies have shown that when doulas attend births, labors are shorter with fewer complications. I attend to women in labor to help ensure a safe and satisfying birth experience in both home and hospital settings. I draw on my knowledge and experience to provide emotional support, physical comfort and, as needed, communication with the other members of your birth team to make sure that you have the information that you need to make informed decisions in labor. I can provide reassurance and perspective to the laboring mother and her partner, make suggestions for labor progress, and help with relaxation, massage, positioning and other techniques for comfort.

Feel free to contact me at doulanataliesue@gmail.com.
Thanks for stopping by!

Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Positive!

Happy New Year! We are expecting again. This will be our third baby and I'm so excited.
Here's the scoop.
I had my first babies close together. J came in March of 2007. Then I was all of a sudden pregnant again in September 2008.  It was quite a surprise since I thought I was following my cycle pretty closely. Obviously not closely enough. I was really scared at first to have another baby so soon, since having a first baby proved to be hard and exhausting for me.  Try as I might, we couldn't teach him to breastfeed. Nothing came normally. I tried everything. Finally when the Children's Hospital Therapist told me that my child just did not have a good sucking reflex, I caved in and allowed myself to feel okay about pumping and feeding him with a bottle. I did this every two hours for the first four months of his life.  Day and night.  So when I was pregnant two months later, I was a little overwhelmed. But I soon was comforted in knowing that I could do this again. I had time to prepare and a good tempered first baby.  He came along in June 2008 and was a blessing. He nursed right away and things weren't as hard.  I know now, why he was sent to our family so quickly.  He has surely been a blessing and I think it is wonderful, and SO good for my first child to have a playmate so close to his age. They are the best of friends and they are only 3 and 2.
SO... I decided that a good time to have another baby would be when my youngest was 3. I didn't want them too close together or too far apart.
I had my IUD removed in August and hoped to be pregnant as soon as possible after that. September came, not pregnant. October, not pregnant, November, not pregnant, and then December. We really didn't have to wait/try  for too long.  I had an epiphany in December. I decided to pretend like it was September 2007, and without going into any details, we were pregnant! Funny thing.
Although I did not know we were pregnant right off. I took a pregnancy test the first day that I skipped my period. It was negative.
Four days late, my cycle still had not showed up. I had a houseful of family members on New Year's Day. You have to know that I have a great relationship with my sister in laws. I don't keep many secrets from them. So they all knew that I wanted to be pregnant. In fact, one of them had also been wanting another baby and we kind of went through this together, but she was already pregnant. So she had been asking for the update every month too.
Well, the topic of conversation came up. If I knew any news this month. I told them, no. I told them the pregnancy test was negative. Then I mentioned that it had been four days and I still hadn't started.
They begged me to go take another test! They offered to buy me more tests since I just had one left. I laughed and said that I wouldn't because knowing my luck, I was supposed to start in the morning.
But only and hour or so went by and I just got too curious.
So I snuck into my bathroom and took another test.
At first nothing. Then, it looked like a faint pink line was appearing. My heart started racing. I couldn't believe it. Were my eyes playing tricks on me? hahah. I blinked and blinked. I thought I was going to cry. It was so faint that I didn't know what to think. I walked out to the family room, looked at a couple of sisters and told them to hurry and c'mere.  I think tears were welling in my eyes. :)  So of course they all ran back. They looked at the test and shreiked, "You're pregnant!"  And we all started hugging and I started crying. Then my husband came in. hahah. Poor guy.  But he was excited and in a little disbelief.  Pretty soon all the brothers-in-law were in my bedroom. Hahaha. Told you we were a close family. So they all told me congratulations. It was a big "Positive Party."
That was my first experience with having so many people there at the moment of truth, and I must admit that it was pretty darn fun. Maybe I'll do it next time too. J/K.
So there you go! We are expecting...due September 7th, but planning on September 21st ish. Which will disappoint my down-syndrome niece extremely, since her birthday is September 7th so I am now to have a baby on her birthday. :)  Poor girl reminds me everyday. But I do like that she says I'm having a girl. We'll have to see!
We are excited.....now to face the morning sickness. Yuck!

No comments: