Welcome!

Welcome to my Doula Blog! I hope you find it interesting and informative.

My name is Natalie. I am a wife, a mother of almost five boys, a doula, and a Hypnobabies Instructor! I'm passionate about childbirth and hope to help women realize the power that is in them to birth more normally and naturally. It's my goal to help women feel confident and comfortable during pregnancy, labor, and delivery. Yes, it is possible! It's also amazing, incredible, wonderful, empowering, and life changing.

As a doula, I am a trained professional who understands and trusts the process of birth. I provide continuous care for the laboring mother and her partner. Studies have shown that when doulas attend births, labors are shorter with fewer complications. I attend to women in labor to help ensure a safe and satisfying birth experience in both home and hospital settings. I draw on my knowledge and experience to provide emotional support, physical comfort and, as needed, communication with the other members of your birth team to make sure that you have the information that you need to make informed decisions in labor. I can provide reassurance and perspective to the laboring mother and her partner, make suggestions for labor progress, and help with relaxation, massage, positioning and other techniques for comfort.

Feel free to contact me at doulanataliesue@gmail.com.
Thanks for stopping by!

Pages

Friday, October 23, 2009

Holly's Birth

SO... I got home at about 4 AM from helping with a birth, and my child started to cry. I got him out of bed and he was struggling a bit with his breathing. I gave him a dose of his inhaler, and he went to sleep for an hour. He got back up and his breathing still made me really, really nervous, so I decided to take him to the ER at Primary Children's. They gave him a breathing treatment and the higher dosage really helped him. My mom met me there to help, which I really appreciated. I also called my husband and he got the day off to come and help. I needed the help because my friend had checked into the hospital to be induced, and I was to be her doula too! So we kept in touch over text message. We were both a little frustrated at first because before they started the pitocen, her doctor came in and broke her water. Now, I'm under the opinion because I have been taught by midwives that you do not need to break someone's water to induce them. We all know that there are many risks involved when you artificially rupture the membranes: infection, cord prolapse, no more cushion, etc. Plus, this friend of mine, her labors go so fast, that she doesn't need her water broken. There are times when it may be more beneficial to have your water broken, but I believe that it is when you are way into labor Not at the get go. Now it's usually okay when your water breaks first thing on it's own, because.. it's on it's own. It's not artificial. Anyway....my child was doing okay so I decided to head to this birth. When I got to the hosptial, she was doing SO amazing! She was working through her contractions beautifully and her husband was so supportive! They were doing so well. I was so impressed that she was doing so well with no sac of waters, and hooked up to intense pitocen. She said that her Dr told her the baby was posterior. So we changed her positions, and it worked! He turned. That was so neat to see. She kept progressing very quickly. She She was so strong and so determined! Her husband and I worked together to do some counter pressure and pretty soon she felt like pushing! She was in a great position to push the baby out....and the staff came in and laid her back and put her legs up in stirrups. I wanted to yell out, "Why are we doing this to her? She's going natural!" But I couldn't, it's not my place. Instead I tried to help her feel comfortable, and the baby was coming so fast, she couldn't really do anything about their positioning her. She's a pro anyway, so she could deal with it. And she did! Her little babe was born at 2:10 and was just the cutest, most alert baby I have seen! It was such a celebration and such an accomplishment! It was so amazing to be there with her, I was so grateful. And I was so grateful that my prayers were answered and that I was able to make it to help at her birth. I am so happy for these beautiful women and that they let me be part of their special experience. I really love being a doula!

No comments: