Welcome to my Doula Blog! I hope you find it interesting and informative.

My name is Natalie. I am a wife, a mother of almost five boys, a doula, and a Hypnobabies Instructor! I'm passionate about childbirth and hope to help women realize the power that is in them to birth more normally and naturally. It's my goal to help women feel confident and comfortable during pregnancy, labor, and delivery. Yes, it is possible! It's also amazing, incredible, wonderful, empowering, and life changing.

As a doula, I am a trained professional who understands and trusts the process of birth. I provide continuous care for the laboring mother and her partner. Studies have shown that when doulas attend births, labors are shorter with fewer complications. I attend to women in labor to help ensure a safe and satisfying birth experience in both home and hospital settings. I draw on my knowledge and experience to provide emotional support, physical comfort and, as needed, communication with the other members of your birth team to make sure that you have the information that you need to make informed decisions in labor. I can provide reassurance and perspective to the laboring mother and her partner, make suggestions for labor progress, and help with relaxation, massage, positioning and other techniques for comfort.

Feel free to contact me at doulanataliesue@gmail.com.
Thanks for stopping by!


Sunday, October 11, 2009

Lee's Birth

What an incredible day. I was supposed to be to an early morning meeting today, but I slept right through my alarm. I woke up at 7:20 to my phone turning off because the battery was dead. I thought to myself that I better plug it in and charge it up, in case I get a call. I then thought, "What are the chances of that happening in the next 15 minutes." But I plugged it in anyway. Two second s later, my phone rang. It was Lee, she said she was heading to the hospital because she was having contractions and she knows she progresses very quickly. So I got ready and headed to the hospital to meet her.

I met her in triage and she was being monitored. Her contractions were irregular and she was dialated to a two. They told her she could walk around for a while, or go home. Since she was 5 days late, she said she was determined to have this baby today, so she was going to walk around. We went and got some breakfast and then rode the elevator to the 6th flor and walked down the stairs. We then repeated and went up the elevator and walked down the stairs. We did this for an hour and it was giving her some good waves. We also sat down for a mintue and I did some accupressure points to help induce labor, soften the cervix, and bring the baby down. On our way back to labor and delivery we stopped at the chapel and attended a bit of church.

Back in labor and delivery, the checked her and she really hadn't progressed, so they said she could go home and set an inducation time for the next day. She told them she would be back that night instead.

So I went home and had a normal day until 5:30 when I locked myself out of my house. I had to call for help and waited for it to come. When I finally got my keys out of my house and put my kids in the car to go to family dinner, I got a call from Lee. She said that she was headed to the hospital again because her contractions were regular, about 6-9 minutes apart. So instead, I headed to the hospital. On my way I decided to stop for some food to keep me going. I thought it might be a long night since her contractions were so far apart. I got to the hospital about 50 mintues after she called me. They had admitted her. I walked into her room and could tell she was close. 10 minutes later, she had her baby! I was just there to remind her of what she wanted to do while pushing. It was incredibly fast. And she did amazing and all natural too! She had a beautiful, beautiful baby who was alert and healthy. I stayed for a few hours afterwards while they monitored her, and then headed home on a happy high.

No comments: